Grizzly G0509G Lathe
Asmbly has recently acquired a Grizzly G0509G 16x40 lathe. It's equipped with a 4HP main motor with 16 spindle speeds, a 2-axis DRO, a micrometer stop, a spider to stabilize long stock through the spindle bore, a recirculating coolant system, and a fully universal gearbox so you can cut the full range of Imperial, metric, modular, and diametrical threads without fidgeting change gears. At just over 3000lbs it's also quite likely the heaviest tool in the shop.
Members must complete the Metal Lathe Class before using this tool
- Swing over bed: 16"
- Distance between centers: 40"
- Swing over saddle: 14-3/4"
- Swing over cross slide: 10"
- Spindle nose: D1-6 camlock
- Spindle speeds: 16; 45-1800 RPM
- Tailstock quill travel: 4-3/4"
- Cross slide travel: 8-1/2"
- Compound travel: 5-1/2"
- Range of threads (inches): 45; 2-72 TPI
- Range of threads (metric): 39; 0.2-14 mm
- Diametrical pitch range: 21; 8-44 DP
- Modular pitch range: 18; 0.3-3.5 MP
- Spindle nose taper: MT#6 (we have an MT#4 adapter)
- Tailstock taper: MT#4
- 8" 3-jaw scroll chuck
- 8" 4-jaw independent chuck
- 12" 4-jaw independent chuck
- 5C collet chuck
- 14" faceplate
- Ball-bearing steady rest
- Ball-bearing follow rest
- tailstock dead center
- tailstock live center
- tailstock 5/8" drill chuck
The lathe is equipped with a CXA-style quick-change toolpost for 1/2" or 3/4" tooling. We always recommend advanced users bring their own cutting tools, but we strive to keep the following on-hand for members to use:
- Right-hand MWLN tool holder. Takes WNMG inserts in sizes 431 or 432.
- Left-hand MWLN tool holder. Takes WNMG inserts in sizes 431 or 432.
- Right-hand MVJN tool holder. Takes VNMG, VNMP, or VNMZ inserts in sizes 431 or 432.
- External parting tool in holder. We provide GTN inserts; also accepts GTL or GTR.
- 3/4" x 10" boring bar in holder. We keep some inserts on hand; Accepts TPGB or TPGC inserts.
- Right-hand external threading tool in holder. We provide TNMA 60º threading inserts; accepts TNMA NV, TNMC NG, TNMC NV, TPMA NV inserts.
- Knurling tool
- MIT Videos:
This tool is owned by Asmbly Makerspace for the use of its members. Please contact the workshop committee if maintenance is required.